Skip to main content

Joint sponsor

Austin, TX |

Hello there, my mother inlaw want to co sponsor me for the greencard. The problem is, she does not live with us. What form can she fill out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Joint sponsor does not have to live in the same household.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


There is no requirement that a joint sponsor live in the same household as the petitioner and beneficiary. In fact, it is better when he or she does not. The co-sponsor will need to execute (fill out) another Form I-864 Affidavit of Support, not instead of, but in addition to the I-864 the petitioner is required to provide regardless of income.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


The only requirement is that your mother in law be either a US citizen or green card holder and fill out an I-864 and include supporting documentation.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Yourco sponsor does not have to live with you. She completes the Ixfs and submits her tax return and proof of current employment


Doesn't need to live with u

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630