Skip to main content

Joint physicall custody 50/50 one parent primary

Port Huron, MI |
Attorney answers 1


For the most part, states prefer to have one parent as the primary residential custodian. This is the one who collects child support and the other parent pays it. Joint legal custody is now more common and means that both parents make decisions as to the child's health and education. This type of custody arrangement requires parents who can act in the best interest of the child and avoid disputes and multiple court appearances to "enforce their rights." You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).
You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
(Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.