Skip to main content

Joined tax return for i781

Long Island City, NY |

me and my husband got married in July 2011. I got my green card in march 2012. Everything was great, i went to see my family for a month. And at the end of the year he told me he cheated on me with his ex-girlfriend when i was away and she's having his baby. I was devastated but forgave him. But now we don't know what to do. We're going to file joined tax return. Do we have to claim the baby on our tax return, will it cause problems in the future when we have to file for I-751. Will they get suspicious of my husband having a kid outside the marriage( we dont have kids yet). What is the right thing to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

A child born outside of the marriage DURING the marriage is always grounds for CIS to be suspicious. Meet with an immigration attorney who can review your case and documentary evidence and then properly advise you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


I agree with my colleague.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer