Skip to main content

Job search with felony conviction

Fort Collins, CO |

how can a person with felony conviction over 7 years old find a good job (or any job for that matter)? you can't support a family flipping burgers and digging ditches.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is not really a legal question. You need some luck. Period. The market is flooded with applicants who have had no legal run-ins and that is your competition.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


I agree with Mr. Deasy. I understand and feel sorry for your predicament. Even people without felonies or any criminal record are having trouble finding jobs in this market. Even the market for attorneys is saturated so that brand new attorneys can not find jobs. Best of luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


Let me add that federal law does not limit the amount of time that a background check may include a conviction. In other words, there is no federal law that prevents background reports from including criminal convictions indefinitely. Additionally, there is no federal law that prevents employers from considering prior convictions, regardless of when they occurred, in making hiring decisions.

Some states have enacted legislation that provides greater protection for applicants. I would suggest contacting the Colorado Civil Rights Division to see what type of protections are available to you:

Colorado Civil Rights Division
1560 Broadway Suite 1050
Denver, CO 80202
800-262-4845 in state

Additionally, you may consider trying to get your conviction expunged. I am not sure what Colorado's expungement statute allows and/or requires but expungement is probably the best way to get criminal convictions off of public records.

Unfortunately, you are in a difficult situation. Finding jobs in almost any industry is extremely challenging right now. Keep hunting for a job and hopefully you will find something that provides for your needs.

I hope this is helpful.


My thoughts and comments are for general information only. The do not constitute legal advice and they should not relied upon as such. My thoughts and comments do not form an attorney-client relationship--I am not your attorney. Please seek the advice of a licensed attorney before taking any acts based upon my thoughts and comments or the comments of others.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi


Excellent advice and very thorough answer by Mr. Snow from Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, CO has sealings and not expungements of adult offenses, and does not allow them for any convictions. So, our asker does not appear to be in a very good condition.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer