Skip to main content

Jail time for child support

Westwood, NJ |

My. Bf was arrested. 4. Times. For. Not paying child support . Everytime he was arrested he went to jail for about 3-5. Days. Then he had to pay some amount to get. Out.
Is each time when he was arrested and in jail will show as misdemeanor on his criminal reckord or as a felony
Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Neither, it is a civil matter with contempt provisions for failure to comply with the Court Order.

Good luck.

Wayne Plaza II
155 Route 46 West
Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone No. (973) 256-0456
Fax No. (973) 256-4784

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. For legal advice, please contact and retain an attorney of your own choosing.



But there was warrant on him and Police came to our house to arrest him how Int will appear on his criminal record ? Is It worst than misdemendaor ???

Mary Tom

Mary Tom


A Civil Court (Family Part Judge) orders arrest for violation of a child support order this is neither a misdemeanor or a felony - because no crime was committed.


Based upon what you have posted, it sounds like your boyfriend was held on contempt of court charges (which are civil offenses) and not criminal charges - - therefore these periods of jail time should not appear on his criminal record. To be certain, your boyfriend should seek counsel from local counsel.


I agree with my colleagues. This is a violation of a Family Court Support Order and is civil in nature. It is not criminal based on your post.


I agree with the other lawyers, but with internet records searches today an employer could find out.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer