Skip to main content

J-1 hardship waiver due to political turmoil?

Folsom, CA |

I'm a student on J-1 visa with 2 yrs home residency constraints, I'm from Egypt, and I've a US child. Could I file a waiver based on hardship for my child (due to recent violence in Egypt). That is there a violence actions and this may affect my child. US warns its citizens to leave Egypt.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can show that the child cannot move to Egypt, but that will not be sufficient to prove the child will suffer a hardship remaining in the U.S.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You've already asked this question before. Not enough grounds with which to get a waiver of your 2 years foreign residency requirement. You'll need much more than the argument you are raising. Schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer to understand the process and what you'll need to qualify.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Unfortunately, I agree with my colleagues on two counts:

1. This is not a strong sounding case.

2. You need to meet with an attorney for a paid consultation.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.