Skip to main content

Ive been victim of Domestic Violence,what are the possibilities that i have to acquiring my Permanent Residency?

Los Angeles, CA |

I married two years and two months ago, to an airman and I have recently become a victim of domestic violence, but i have yet to press charges. Im protected Under the 245i, Right after we married He filed for my residency to be able to move in with him, were from California and hes stationed in Utah. I have recently spoken to my immigration lawyer in regards the recent incident and she said that we would have to take a different route in order to acquire my permanent residency in this country. Im just very confused on the possibilities or even on the procedures that will fallow. I do have an accident report made by Layton Utah's police department, and medical proof . I am worried because we didnt live much time together due to his deployment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, you have options, including filing as a victim of Domestic Violence. Make sure you work closely with your attorney, who is there to assist you.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


If you have an attorney, you need to discuss your concerns with her. She knows your case best and is your best resource. Best of luck.


You must discuss this with your immigration attorney. He or she will be able to help you answer your question regarding your residency. Although the state will assign an assistant prosecutor to help you with the domestic violence charge, you should make sure to run everything through your immigration attorney. Good luck.