Skip to main content

Ive been accused of a hit and run. I have no marks on my licence yet i dont know what type of attorney to talk to

Norfolk, VA |

It happend on berkley bridge and i merged into the lane to my right and the truck merged into the same lane i got damages to my car and i dont know what to do it was my first car incident

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

You should speak with a criminal defense attorney as the citation you received have criminal liability attached to it. if you are injured, you should seek medical attention as well and potentially speak to a personal injury attorney in the event you can show the accident was the fault of the other driver.


It depends on who is accusing you of hit-and-run. If you have received a summons to appear for traffic court or criminal court, you should speak with an attorney that handles criminal and traffic matters.

On the other hand, if the other driver or their insurance company is seeking money from you to pay for the damage, you should turn the matter over to your automobile insurance company. You could also talk to an attorney that handles civil matters or personal injury matters to advise you about what to expect after a car accident.

This answer is provided for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer. YOU MAY NOT RELY ON THIS ANSWER AS LEGAL ADVICE. Avvo answers are based on the very limited information provided and likely do not fully respond to your legal issue. In most situations, it is in your best interest to consult a live attorney in person.


Report the incident to your insurance company and if you received formal charges against you consult with a local criminal defense.traffic attorney ASAP.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.


Do NOT speak with the police. They are not there to help you in this case. You need to consult with a criminal/traffic defense attorney if you are being charged with hit and run. Also, turn any claims over to your car insurance company. If you left the scene because there was no safe place to pull over, that could be helpful. Also, if you left the scene because you were alone and were afraid, that may be helpful. Good luck.


Simply retain a local criminal lawyer to fight it.............


My advice is similar to thr other attorneys except I would be more specific by trying to retain a traffic defense attorney who regularly practices in whatever jurisdiction you had your accident in. If you have a local attorney, they are more likely to have relationships with the police officer and/or the prosecutor which could be invaluable if you have a good explanation and/or wish to make a better plea deal. When retaining the attorney, interview your potential attorney about his/her experience in the local court. and do not necessarily hire the first attorney you meet with. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer