Skip to main content

Items being taken without 2 people knowing and still was charged with misdemeanor larceny.

Gastonia, NC |

On Friday September 6,2013 I went to the local mall with my sister and my girlfriend. We were out looking to buy a gift for our mother. While shopping around my sister stole two (2) rings from Belks (I was unaware and so was my girlfriend) . We then went to Sears to look around. While in Sears my sister stole a watch (without us knowing again). Belks didn't charge me or my girlfriend but Sears charged us with Misdemeanor Larceny for a 30.00 watch. I have a previous record for simple assault, and have an ftc on paraphernillia charge (but all were dismissed). I was arrested Friday and taken from the store straight to the booking process here in Gaston County. None of us want these charges on our record,but I do find it to not be right seeing as how my girlfriend and I had no clue as to what was going on. Can I got to the public defenders office now and or the DA and ask for a deferral and try to pay for what was taken? What would be the best thing to do to clear my record?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hire an attorney. They have to prove that you knew what your sister was doing and that you helped her.


If you have a prior record then you probably are not eligible for deferred prosecution. As far as getting a public defender, I am not sure about the local procedures, but typically you would need to apply for that at your first court date. These sorts of cases are tricky--you have a decent explanation, but it really depends on the disposition of the judge whether they believe that you were really in the dark about the thefts.

No answer to these questions is intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for an actual conversation with a licensed attorney about the particular facts and circumstances of your case.


Hire an attorney.

Offices in Asheville, Gastonia, Charlotte, and Wilmington. Answers given on this site are intended to be general in nature and do not create attorney-client privilege.


The best thing For you to do is to speak to a local experienced attorney in your area. They will be able to advise you on what the best approach given your circumstances. Good Luck

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer