Skip to main content

It states in my fathers Durable POA that if a guardian should be needed I should be appointed. How do I know if it's necessary?

Akron, OH |

My 78 yr old father has been losing weight, recently had his drivers license suspended yet continues to drive. He won't give up his keys, wont accept meal deliveries such as meals on wheels. He pretty much doesnt eat unless we're there with him. He also signed a new car loan for another family member, the car is in his name and he thinks that just because they're paying the loan that it's not his loan. These family members through out the yrs have had cars and homes repossesed and are always defaulting on contracts. I would just like to protect my fathers best interest and not have him get saddled with a huge car payment that he can't afford.I'mnot really sure what I can do exactly as Durable POA or If I should seek Guardianship

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you can not get control of his finances through the use of a DPOA, then you may need to seek a formal guardianship through the courts. You situation probably needs to be addressed through the courts and your concerns seem quite valid and serious. So get in touch with an estates litigation attorney who handles these matters in your father's state and county of residence.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.