Skip to main content

It seems like I can start a company in USA according to the E2 Treaty Investor visa. How much capital must I invest minimum?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am not a US citizen. The company I want to start is a web shop (clothes and accessories). What do you think would be a substantial investment in that company at minimum?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Depends on your US embassy and your business plan as well as your application as a whole. As a general rule if it's a small investment invest as much as it will take to run the business for one year. If that's not much then get as a close to 100K as you can. Having said that, it's possible to do it for less but it might require more. Es do not follow a clear formula. This visa category requires an attorney, and I am not one of those attorneys that says that all the time.

Due to the nature of this forum, Attorney Maria J. Marty does not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, her responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.


Depending on where you are applying, i.e. the US consulate abroad or for a COS while in the US, you should have at least $100-$150K to invest. Note that the amount of investment can include the value of any inventory committed to the enterprise.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


The word in the treaties is "substantial". If you invest $100,000, you should be fine.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer