Skip to main content

It's been over a year since my disorderly conduct conviction

Poughkeepsie, NY |

It's been over one year since I took a plea offer for disorderly conduct (original charge was petit larceny).. How do I make sure the charge was properly sealed in the DCJS and the courts? What will show up on background checks at this point when I look for work and get that looked into?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It should automatically seal. Check in court. They should tell you there is no public record. Nothing should show up unless you apply to be a police officer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



This fellow is the greatest! Always answers questions !!


In most cases, the matter would automatically be sealed one year after the conviction. If you go on the Office of Court Administration website it will provide information on how you can obtain a copy of your record. This will allow you to confirm that the matter is not showing up. As to what would be found on an investigation, that would depend on the level of investigation done by a prospective employer. For example, if you were to apply to law enforcement agencies the history of your case would probably appear. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


Do a background check on yourself, it should be sealed.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer