Skip to main content

It is evident that I have a math disability 4 times of trying. I want this course withdrawn and my degree. Can I sue the college

Boiling Springs, NC |

I feel like I was set up to fail and not to graduate on time because of my math disability. I feel discriminated against. I asked them for a tutor and I ask them to withdraw the course because after I tried 4 times to pass this, I did not. My grade point average dropped. Now they will not allow me to come back to college to finish two classes to graduate. This has cost me lots of invested money, time, and energy. I am trying hard to get my BS degree in Human Service. I have talked with teachers and administration. Should I write the president, or should I write the national NAACP to investigate this case. I have suffered financially, emotionally, and physically. I need relief. What should I do. I need a voice.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need a counsellor and maybe a tutor but, on these facts, you do not need a lawyer. Of course you can write to NAACP, or anyone else that you want to contact.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


It doesn't appear that you have any cause of action against anyone under these facts. Best of luck.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.


All majors have a description of classes and requirements that must be met in order to be awarded the degree. It is up to you to review this information and determine whether you want to pursue a particular degree based upon the requirements. Universities are not required to give you a degree because you gave it your best shot. If that were the case, you would have pilots that couldn't fly planes, medical doctors who didn't know how to treat injuries, accountants that couldn't add, etc.

Regarding having a disability, universities are required to make reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities. However, there isn't a protected class of people with mathematical disabilities.

Regarding the NAACP, if you feel that you have been discriminated against based on the color of your skin, you should find a civil rights lawyer. However, based on the facts you presented, it does not seem this is case.

I think what you need to do is figure out a way to pass the class or find a new major. You can petition the school to remove this class as a requirement for you degree, but that is going to be a difficult and uncertain road.

The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit


I agree with all of the previous answers. I will add that one solution will be to transfer to anoher college to finish your degree.

I will also add that there is no "math disability" recognized for higher education. In grade school (high school and below) there are certain requirements schools have to meet when a student has a learning disability. Colleges have no such requirement, while they can give tutors, there is nothing that requires them to do so.

Also, before you prepare to complain outside the school and potentially alienate those who could help you. Make sure tutors are in fact not offered in the school It is possible that tutors are offered and you could take advantage of it.