Skip to main content

It appears that the Executer for my Mother's estate, located in another state, is borrowing funds and distributing $ not approve

Brownsburg, IN |

They have promised a detailed accounting of the income/expenses monthly for the last 8 months and no longer answer calls or mail. The individual is located in her last state of residence which is a 14 hour drive from me. I need some advice on how best to proceed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


YOu are very late here in responding to a problematic situation. You must realize that for every day you wait you increase the losses that may be taking place here. Get an estates litigation attorney immediately. You may need to bring an action for a complete and immediate accounting, a surcharge action and an action for the executor's removal for cause. For removal for cause, please see my article entitled Pennsylvania Probate: Removal of Personal Representative Under PA Estates and Fiduciary Code at the following link: Even though this relates to PA law most states have similar rules.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.



Would you have any recommendations in the Pensacola area?

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick


Attorney Joe Pippen has several offices on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I would suggest that you contact him. His contact information is here:


Your next step needs to be locating and retaining a probate litigator in the state where the trust is being administered. You need to have your own attorney review the trust, then demand an immediate accounting from the executor. Do not delay, you have already given eight months away.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.


You absolutely need to hire a probate litigator ASAP. Save all of your correspondence with the executor. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to recover the misappropriated funds.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer