Skip to main content

Islamic marriage in Chicago and immigration

Chicago, IL |

if someone got married islamically in Chicago without obtaining a marriage license or certificate from the county and the marriage conducted by authorized person (Immam), and the both party singed the mosque papers but never signed any legal marriage license (the ones that issued by the county) . will this marriage consider valid marriage in USCIS point view or not.

Both party called it off after two weeks, the girl got married to another man, this time the marriage was both legally and islamically and singed both mosque papers and marriage license. Now the wife want to file i-130, Does she need to disclose the pervious islamic marriage or not. she never lived with the first man and there was no divorce papers. will the first marriage be problem if didn't disclose to USCIS or not given

the fact that is was not legal marriage and I think Illinois doesn't recognized this marriage because its not legal binding marriage in the sate of Illinois. Please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

To be valid for immigration purposes, a marriage must be valid in the place where it was performed, according to local laws. A marriage performed without a marriage license in the States is likely not valid, and if that's the case, there's no disclosure needed. However, it would be a good idea to consult with a family law attorney in IL just to be safe.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


The religious marriage would not be recognized in Illinois absent a valid marriage license and certificate.


I agree with my colleague. You should consult a family law attorney in Illinois to be certain that the first marriage was not legal/official.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Speak to family law attorney


I agree with my fellow lawyers. Contact a family lawyer first.


If there really was no marriage license involved in the first marriage, then it was probably not a valid marriage under Illinois law. However, it is always best to disclose and explain when dealing with USCIS.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.


You are correct that Illinois will not recognize the marriage entered without a license. Regarding disclosure, you are always better off disclosing anything rather than hiding anything.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


No. The US still requires a bona fide evidence of a valid marriage.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer