Skip to main content

Is this workplace bullying and/or harassment? What are my legal recourses?

Lawrenceville, GA |

For nine years, I was harassed and intimidated to perform at a level lower than that which I was capable of performing. Basically, I was ordered to do substandard/inaccurate work. After several years of verbally aggressive behavior, I had to be hospitalized twice for severe and debilitating depression/anxiety. The individual involved left the company, but returned. When the bullying started again, I discussed past issues with new manager and HR. Since then, both parties and others have made my job more difficult and stressful, and workload is constantly increasing. I assume they are trying to make me quit so they don't have to fire me and look like the bad guys. As a result, my previous debilitating emotional state has returned. I welcome any advice you have to offer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You will need to see a lawyer to discuss the details. Merely labeling conduct as "harassing," "intimidating" or "bullying" does not mean conduct rises to the level of a legal claim. There is no general legal right or entitlement to a boss who is nice rather than rude or mean.


I agree that you need to speak to an attorney about whether the bullying is actionable.
But it sounds as if there is a cultural issue. It may be a good idea to use your current job as a platform from which to find a new one.
Good Luck!

If you found this Answer to be helpful, please mark it as such. Remember, however, free advice is worth every penny you paid for it. This is only generalized commentary on your question. It is not to be taken as legal advice. I am a lawyer – but not your lawyer! Even "in person" interviews leave attorneys with plenty of questions – the Internet makes it crazy! Thank you Chuck Watson 217.544.6165

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer