Skip to main content

Is this fogery?? Can I go to jail??

Huntsville, AL |

I was in a relationship with a person for 8 years during that time while my partner was out of town on business she would have me to sign her checks for household needs. After I left the relationship she filed forgery charges against me for signing the checks. My name was never on her account because she had financial issues which could have been transferred to me if we were involved financially. I have witnesses that heard her direct me to sign the checks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area ASAP for advice and direction. If you had her permission then you had no intent to deceive/commit a crime. But she can say you did not and signed without her knowledge, consent nor authority. You can dispute this with third party fact witnesses. Forgery is a crime in all states. Get legal counsel NOW!

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


I would hire an attorney. If they told you to sign the checks and you have witnesses, you should be okay. I would expect they will say they did not approve a certain check which you signed. Call me in Huntsville if you need help. 256-534-3435

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.