Skip to main content

Is this considered slander and should I seek an attorney?

Springdale, AR |

I worked for my prev. employer for 8 years and even made employee of the year in 2012. When I relocated for school I had to pursue a different job. My prospective employer contacted me and told me that i could not have the job because of bad reference from prev. employer. They told her that I steal company time for home activities, always late and always leave early. These are not true statements. I also made a major complaint on the store manager 2 months before I gave my resignation. I fullfilled my full 2 week notice.They have made me a non rehire without an explanation. My evaluations have always been in good standing. There is currently an investigation into the claims being made by the human resources at the General Office.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Get a different reference


Your former employer has a different opinion of you and your work than you have. That is not a sound basis for a legal claim by you. Nothing that you have summarized here suggests any unlawful statements by your former employer. Quit citing this employment as a reference.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer