Is this a felony?Can i loose my drivers license for this? What are my rights?

Iron Mountain, MI |

Hi, I am being charged with Larson from a motor vehicle in the state of Michigan. I took a battery out of the back of an open pickup truck put it in my vehicle and took off.a few hours later I felt guilty and went back to see if the truck was still there to put the battery back but the truck was gone.The battery was valued at about ninety dollars.

If the value of the property was less than $200.00, then you are likely guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or a fine of not more than $500.00 or 3 times the value of the property, whichever is greater, or both imprisonment and a fine. MCL 750.356a. The fact that you went back to return the battery does not negate the crime, but it might help you get leniency in sentencing. This offense should not affect your driving privileges.

One way to double check if you are being charged with a misdemeanor or a felony is to look at your case number. If it ends in "SM" or "OM" you are being charged with a misdemeanor. If it ends in "FY" you are being charged with a felony.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information, which may not be appropriate for the specific facts of your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship has been established based on this limited communication. You are advised to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action or inaction that may affect your legal rights. www.hecklerlawoffice.com

larceny from a motor vehicle can be a felony conviction. It will not cost you your license necessarily. Mike

Based on the facts provided in your question, this incident should not impact your driver's license. It is always a good idea to consult with an experienced attorney when facing criminal charges.

I have experience representing individuals in Dickinson County, and would be happy to discuss this matter with you further. You can contact my office to schedule a free initial consultation, or a telephone conference. (906) 228-0001.

-Scott Brogan