Skip to main content

Is there value in applying for L-1A if the beneficiary has 10 months of contiguous experience in the foreign entity?

Lombard, IL |

I am here on H-1 but was working for the parent company for 10 months. Employer wants to change my status to L-1A to reflect the senior managerial role I would be playing in near future. Company sees me as a very important and key resource with senior employees reporting to me from parent and current office.
There is a clause here ( "Even so, when the adjudicating officer is convinced that the evidence substantiates the work experience for an L-1 nonimmigrant, the petition may be approved".
My Question is should I apply for L-1A with strong documentation from the company and take a chance ?. I did MS in computer science here in USA and have around 14 years of experience

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


1. Your employer is the one that needs to apply.
2. You and your employer must meet all the requirements, including being employed one year abroad for the company.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I do not personally see a possibility to handling this issue via a cursory note on Avvo. Your employer and you must have an immigration attorney versed in employment visas.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer