Is there really a law waiting to be passed for prison inmates to only serve 65% instead of the current 85% on their time?

Memphis, TN |

Filed under: Criminal defense

Best Answer

This bill has been proposed over many legislative sessions, but it has not passed.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
T 866.380.1782 | M 912.596.2935
jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
http://www.nationalfederaldefense.com

That is a very common rumor frequently heard among federal prisoners. The answer is no. Especially in an election year, no one is looking to lower prison time.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.

Unfortunately the answer is no. This rumour keeps running throught the federal prisons, but it is not true. Larger time cuts keep getting proposed, but they are never passed.