Skip to main content

Is there public information regarding State Trooper misconduct?

Poplar Bluff, MO |

Is there public information regarding State Trooper misconduct?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In truth, I don't know. The research I've done for you on the topic doesn't look promising as far as online searches go, but is more promising as far as in-person/written requests are concerned.

While a lawyer/court could probably subpoena information about a particular trooper from the Professional Standards Division, it doesn't appear as though this information is PUBLICLY available in a searchable online format. That said, publication of that information is made to the person filing the complaint:

Will the individual who signed the complaint be notified of the outcome of the investigation?
"A: The complainant will receive a letter from the superintendent summarizing the results of the investigation. "

It also seems that "investigative" reports are public record, and may be requested from the Custodian of Records office. ( In-person inquiries are handled in Jefferson City, 1510 East Elm Street, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0568, but you can also mail a request to them or fill out an online request form. There appears to be a charge for this service, but you have the right to inspect records for free before you purchase or copy them. I don't know how much purchase or copying costs, but the phone number for viewing appointments (573-526-6167) might be able to answer that question or direct you to someone who can.

Thanks for the question, it was good to have a chance to learn something about the process. Good luck!

Answers to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete. This uncompensated answer is provided for informational purposes only, as a free public service; any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer