Skip to main content

Is there anyway to have your dmv records or dmv convictions removed from court records or aleast where should you have a back

Silver Spring, MD |
Attorney answers 2


Expungement is the removal of records from public inspection. In Maryland, records may
be expunged from 1) Motor Vehicle Administration files, 2) police files and 3) court and
police files. Each process removes very specific files and must be done through the proper
agency. You must apply for expungement of each arrest based on the date of arrest and
according to the disposition. No process expunges the records from all agencies.

Many motor vehicle records are automatically expunged after 3 years; other records may
be manually expunged, depending upon the offense for which you were convicted and the
length of time since your last conviction. For additional information, contact and attorney who can assist you.


You will need to speak to an attorney about the specifics of your case. However, the following information may be helpful to you. Only a court can order that a record be expunged. You apply for expungement by filing a petition or a motion. Generally, you can only be granted expungement for an offense which did not end in a conviction. Therefore, expungement is not available where you pay the fine for a citation, plead guilty, or are found guilty after a trial. Although Probation Before Judgment (PBJ) is not a conviction, you can no longer get either a DUI or DWI, which ended with a PBJ, expunged. In addition, expungement will be denied where you were convicted of another crime after the offense for which you are seeking expungement. You would do best to consult an experienced criminal attorney for advice on how to handle job related questions concerning convictions and offenses which did not result in convictions.

This is not legal advice it is general information intended to guide you to speak directly with a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in Maryland.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer