Skip to main content

Is there anyway to avoid paying 4 separate filing fees when changing the last name of a family of 4?

Austin, TX |

My husband and I want to legally change our last name (and that of our two children) simply because we have a terrible last name. The district clerk's filing fee in Hays County is around $250 per person. When multiplied by four, that is really expensive. Is there anyway to do a joint petition? Or any other way of doing it that would reduce the filing fees? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I can't say that I have ever run into that situation. However, you have the right idea. If you file a single action, the worst thing that would happen is the clerk would tell you that you need additional funds. If you don't pay, you don't move forward. You can also call and ask the clerk. They won't give you legal advice, but their job is to determine and collect the filing fee. You might as well ask.

This post is for discussion purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. This post does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in retaining counsel, you may contact The Law Office of Daniel O'Brien, P.C. at 512-615-3580 to discuss further.


Depending on your income, you could apply for a fee waiver, but that is up to the court to grant or deny it.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.


If indigent, court may be able to waive the fee. Section 45.001 of the Texas Family Code is what you should read regarding changing the names of children and adults. I believe that you can file it under one petition. I can't see any reasoning behind doing 4 separate petitions.

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer