Skip to main content

Is there anything I can do to legally to dispute this even though I do not have the documentation for it anymo

Nashville, TN |

I live in TN and canceled my service with Direct TV in November 2010. I moved overseas and threw away all of my paper work from the States. Direct TV charged my credit card on file on March 2012 for $500 and claimed that it was due to me failing to send the receivers. They mailed me a box and I sent them the receivers. They claimed that my entire balance would be refunded back to my credit card. I forgot about it until July 2012 , where I got charged again $197.76 , this time with the claim stating that I canceled my service early and that is the charge for it. How can they charge you almost 2 years after the service, and this we know is false due to the fact that contracts usually are for 2 years and we had been with them longer than 2 years after canceling. Is there anything I can do to legally to dispute this even though I do not have the documentation for it anymore? Is it right for a company to wait 2 years and then file a charge to the past customers?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I would suggest you contact their customer service department and ask to speak to a supervisor. The agents you initially speak to are unlikely to do anything other that read a script to you. If you can't get anywhere with a supervisor you can file a dispute with your credit card company. they may be able to resolve it for you.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.


Seek to obtain a copy of your agreement. It will likely set forth the provisions you need to clear up your inquiry as they aren't likely to act unless they think they have your agreement to terms.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer