Is there anything illegal about gifting.

Gainesville, FL |

I'm considering joining a gifting group where we invite people to join and I don't want to be involved if there's the slightest chance of it being illegal.

Best Answer

If you don't want to be involved because there's a slightest chance of it being illegal, I would say don't join one. I don't think that gifting groups are illegal necessarily but several of them may contain illegal behavior or prey upon well meaning people. It seems these are pyramid schemes generally and may not be legitimate in many cases. If it something you are still interested in doing, do your homework and if something seems to good to believe, it generally is.

Marci Dana Silver

Marci Dana Silver

In addition, while it is likely not illegal for you to participate in a legitimate "gifting group" if one so exists, you may become an unknowing victim or unknowingly victimize someone else. Be careful handing over money to people.

Marci Dana Silver

Marci Dana Silver

http://www.rd.com/advice/scam-artists-praying-on-women/2/

It would be impossible to tell you whether involvement in a particular group is illegal without knowing exactly what it is that they do. Gifting groups/activities alone are legal, but may be illegal depending on the structure and scheme that they employ.

Call (904) 339-5338 to schedule your free consultation and case evaluation. Please note that the answer provided above is not intended as legal advice and no attorney-client relationship results from this posting.

What on Earth is a "gifting group"?

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)