Skip to main content

Is there anyone that can be authorized to sign on behalf of deceased when disposing of real estate in a community property state

Palmdale, CA |

I am a real estate agent and I have a transaction I'm working on in California, a community property state. The sellers on title and the loan are a man and his deceased wife. Two days before the close of escrow, the bank is requiring someone to sign on behalf of the deceased wife (on the closing HUD), a person authorized to do that. I want to show the bank that in a community property state, the husband's signature is enough to dispose of the loan and the property in this sale. Please advise what code or law shows that he can administer the estate (the house in this case) without have to go through probate, in case where there is no will; or, that there is no way to give a person authorization to sign on the decedent's behalf in this case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The court has the power to appoint someone, please check with a local attny. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Unless you can clear title because the husband and wife owned the property as joint tenants and therefore the husband can prepare and record an affidavit of death of joint tenant to clear title -- you're looking at a probate proceeding to clear title.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference