Skip to main content

Is there any way to get a 10 year federal felony conviction expunged? 18:545. If yes how? Please help

Wildomar, CA |

This took place in San Diego Mexico border. I was given 3 years probation no jail time.I have not been in any trouble since then.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Federal law does not provide for expungements of federal offenses. You will need to apply for a Presidential pardon. Yes, very tough to get.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


An expungement is impossible since the Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 35(a) provides that a district court loses jurisdiction to alter or amend a final judgment 14 days after the judgment is filed (and can only do so in limited circumstances during that 14 day period), and the time limits to challenge to conviction by direct appeal or habeas corpus expired 14 days after the judgment was filed and 1 year after the judgment became final, respectively. Therefore, a reduction to a misdemeanor, even if the Government agreed to do so (which is another discussion), is not legally possible. A Presidential Pardon is the only alternative in federal court.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.