Skip to main content

Is there any way to fight a UPM without an attorney?

Corning, NY |

Got pulled over. Had a grinder with a little marijuana, a bowl (glass pipe) and a bag with about 0.5 grams of marijuana. All were taken. Got a UPM with a court date.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5




How will you know whether the allegations are legally sufficient, how to defend the case, and whether any offer is fair.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Not with the same result as with an experienced criminal attorney. Issues such as search & seizure; probable cause etc etc need to be investigated.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


And now you've documented in writing, on a public forum accessible to the DA, your statement against interest (i.e. your guilt) and you haven't even entered a courtroom yet. You need an attorney ASAP before you get yourself further in the quagmire.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


You could pull your own teeth, cut your own hair, and do your own car repairs but it is better to let a professional handle it. I have answered this question before, see my answer.