Skip to main content

Is there any way for an immigrant who entered the country illegally to become legal without leaving the country?

Washington, IN |

Married to us citizen for over 10 yrs , they have 6 kids . He has a drivers license and works under a false name and SS # . Has seen lawyer and paid money to us gov . was told next he have to go to Mexico and petition to return which could take up to 2 yrs or more and may not be approved . He is sole provider for his family .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Was he tol this by an attorney? If not he should consult with one.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


He may be eligible for a green card through cancellation of removal.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Most likely your attorney would have reviewed your entire situation about cancellation of removal. Under the new policy you may be able to file the paperwork without leaving U.S. Hope your attorney updates you on the new policy. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Practice Area: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174