Skip to main content

Is there any requirement to change my B1 visa to J1?

Oceanside, CA |

I'm now in the U.S. on a B1 visa, and the company I used to work for give me an offer to participate in a project, can I change to J1 visa to extend my status to work for them? Is there any requirement for me to change to J1? Someone said I need to have at least 5 years work experience in my home country to change to J1, which I don't have. But I cannot find any information about it. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer


First, the company offering you the training must be able to accept a J1 trainee. Assuming this is the case, you have to do a change of status prior to going out of status. Next, you should find out if the J-1 has a two year foreign residenctyrequirement,

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at



It might have foreign residency requirement. But that's my concern, I will go back to my country or apply a waiver which i'm not sure. My current concern is whether I can take this offer and change my visa type.



Thanks a lot for such quick response!


Changing status to J1 is possible only at approved institutions. Ask the company i they are approved institution. If not apply for such an approval is possible and you would need someone experienced in this filed.
Lalita Haran

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.


Only if they are part of a J-1 program and the work is indeed part of the program.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.