Skip to main content

Is there any legal action i can take?

Platteville, WI |

There's this girl that is going out of her way to ruin my personal life. She is spreading lies about me and telling my girlfriend that i am seeing other girls. this is not the first time this happened, she is making it her personal mission to destroy my intimate life.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you can prove that she said this, that it was a lie, you can sue for slander. Unless she has money, you get satisfaction. You might be able to bring a harassment injunction / restraining order case against her.

This is properly a personal injury type of case, not criminal defense. I will change the heading so that it will come to the attention of those lawyers.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:


Sure there is legal action -- you can sue for slander assuming she is lying. The probem is, to what end? For money? For the satisfaction of jamming her up? You would have a difficult time finding an attorney to represent you in such an action because there is most likely no money to recover and it is unlikely a jury would give you much money.

A protective order can be sought, but there are certin things you have to prove and "spreading rumors" is not usually contemplated in the protective order setting.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


As stated, you may be able to pursue an injunction.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer