Skip to main content

Is there any chance of finding an attorney that will take a criminal case I'm disabled with not a lot money and am soon to be

Auburn, CA |

homeless or in jail for something I don't quite understand I have an arraignment tomorrow in placer county (auburn). I will know more tomorrow but I think I'm being charged twice for the same thing just different wording and am probably going to need this to be Pro Bono or close to it. in the year 2000 I gave false information to a police officer now department of motor vehicles is charging me with fraud?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

find the bar association in your area


Ask for the Public Defender.


Yes. Go to court and request a free public defender be appointed to defend you. That is what public defenders do and yes they are pro bono. I think you will have a very difficult time otherwise since mos t of us need to get paid to earn a living. Answering questions here is pro bono enough for most of us. Good Luck


You should qualify for the services of a Public Defender. If memory serves right, I don't think Placer County has an actual Public Defender's Office. Instead, I think they use a law firm that contracts with the County.

Either way, the Court should provide you with an attorney at your arraignment tomorrow. Tell the judge about your financial situation and s/he should make sure you get an attorney.

Reliance on any information in this website is at the sole risk of the user and the user understands that he or she should consult with an attorney before taking a course of action based upon information contained in this website. The information on this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


These attorneys are called public defenders.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at


you will likely qualify for the services for the public defender or appointed counsel.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


It's a little unusual for a Placer county arraignment to be in Auburn. Arraignments are usually done at the Roseville courthouse. There are two courthouses in Auburn. The main one is the historic courthouse which is mostly for trials as this is a historic courthouse building with limited space. Arraignments in Auburn are usually handled at the jail courthouse, but those are primarily although not exclusively, for in-custody defendants. Be sure to check your notice carefully for the correct department and make sure you know which courthouse that department is in. You can also check the court calendar online at The same website also contains information on department locations.

Very few attorneys will take a case on a pro bono basis. But, there will be an attorney present from the Public Defender's office at every arraignment courtroom. If you don't have a lawyer, the court will appoint the Public Defender for you. If you later are able to raise enough money to hire private counsel, you can have him swap in. You are not stuck with the public defender once he is appointed for you.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer