Is there an innocence project for those wrongfully charged?

Dallas, TX |

If I know I am 100% innocent and am 100% wrongfully charged, is there an innocence project or some other avenue I can take to take proactive action after already securing a defense attorney and thinking out an appeal plan? Right now formal charges have not been filed but I've always felt that better safe than sorry.

Your lawyer all lawyers know about the innocence project. But you are not wrongfully convicted so, I suggest you take one step at a time WITH your lawyer. Good idea to let your lawyer know you are posting here, my bet is he/she will shut it down for your own good.

I applaud your desire to be proactive and seek out ways to protect yourself, but the best way that you can do that is to counsel with your attorney. They are in the best position and have the best chance of having things turn out the best for you. Part of it is human nature. Regardless, work with your attorney and let them work for you. Perhaps you will not have to worry about a trial, let alone an appeal.

I agree with the responses you have received thus far and write separately only to emphasize one thing. Your attorney should be your sole source of information and advice about your case. Please do not undercut the relationship you have with counsel by doing your own legal research on the Internet. You can't possibly think that one or us here, without the understanding that your attorney possesses can possibly provide better guidance for you. If you are not satisfied with the performance of counsel for some reason, bring that to their attention so they can address it. If still not satisfied then you may want to consider a change of representation, but don't do it based upon your own legal reasearch.

Kathryn Mary Holton

Kathryn Mary Holton

AMEN, well said!

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Thank you kind counsellor.

the Innocence "project"for the wrongfully accused is called a criminal defense attorney.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Not to beat a dead horse here, but you've already hired a defense attorney....so that's who you should be speaking with about these issues.

The above is for academic purposes and is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.