Skip to main content

Is there an area of law, named administrative law,that concerns itself with a medical professionals reputation (emphasis added)?

Tampa, FL |

A panel will decide on whether to initiate an administrative violation, or not. I am the claimant. What practice area addresses this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Administrative law houses lots of narrow practice niches. The legal subject matter you are describing is professional/occupational licensing law which is governed and implemented by principles of administrative law and procedure.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


Administrative law would deal with administrative hearings such as those where a medical care provider is being recommended for a loss of licence or limits. But "administrative law" is a generic phrase to cover the practice and procedure before an agency, for example a licencing agency.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes that is admin law.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.


Within the Florida Deparment of Health is the Medical Quality Assurance Division. The MQA handles consumer complaints. You can download the Complaint Form from their website: . An Investigator will be assigned the Complaint and a letter sent to the healthcare licensee to respond within 45 days. From there, the Complaint and response and anyother information received by the Investigator will be sent to the Probable Cause Panel for the respective Board which oversees the licensee. The PC Panel is made up of 3 persons, typically 2 licensee members of the Board and 1 consumer (regular citizen). The Board members are appointed by the Governor. The Board will vote on whether probable cause exists as to a violation of a law, rule or regulation invovling a license, and this includes malpractice. If PC is found, then the licensee is served with an Administrative Complaint which includes the exact nature of the charges. The licensee then can elect to dispute the charges and seek a hearing before the Board itself or an Administrative Law Judge who would try the case. If the licensee elects to be heard by the Board, the licensee has generally agreed he/she did what the complaint alleges but is seeking lower sanctions. The licensee can also agree attime of service of the Administrative Complaint to the suggested sanctions attached to the Complaint. The sanctions include fines, probabtion, suspension or revocation of the license. You will be kept apraise of the course of your Complaint by the Department of Health.

DISCLAIMER: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.



PSU level decision required, based upon merit. There may/may not be a PC panel review.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer