Skip to main content

Is there a way to receive legal help for a dissolution or divorce when I have no income?

East Liverpool, OH |

My husband left me for another woman and wants a divorce. We have two sons together and both are under 18 and one is staying with me and the other is staying with my husband. I have no income and my husband is refusing to provide any financial assistance since he has left. My husband is also being uncooperative with visitations with my son. I want to know what my rights are such if i can pursue alimony and would have any rights to any of his assets and custody/visitation arrangements for our children. I tried to seek help through Legal Aid and they said they are unable to help due to being overwhelmed with other cases. I would appreciate any legal advice on what i should do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your state should have a way for indigent people to file court action with a waiver of costs, often called an affidavit of indigency.

As for alimony and child support, this would depend on multiple factors that an Ohio attorney is best off explaining to you as the rules can differ greatly from state to state, but generally speaking under the circumstances you put you should be eligible for child support and at least a temporary order of alimony.

As for finding counsel, call your county Bar Association and see if they can recommend an attorney who does pro bono or reduced rate family law work.

If you are in Massachusetts, my answering of your question does not constitute an attorney/client relationship and are for informational purposes only. If you wish to contact me to discuss your question further I offer a 30 minute free consultation and can be reached at 413-522-6263. If you are not in Massachusetts I am not giving you legal advice as I am not licensed in your state and my comments should be viewed as for informational purposes only.


Contact your local bar association and see if there is any counsel who will take on your case at no charge or at a reduced charge.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.


Contact your local Legal Aid organization at
Best of Luck!

Beth A. Blackmore
Blackmore Law Ofice, LLC

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer