Skip to main content

Is there a way to just extend an existing lease without creating a new one?

Montgomery, IL |

I have a rental property and the lease for my current tentants is about to expire. They would like to stay in the property for just another 4 months. Do a need a new short lease or can we extend the existing one?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can extend the current lease with a short lease amendment. The language in the amendment should refer to the original lease document and incorporate all of its terms.

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.


Once the lkease has expired, your tenants will be entitled to remain on a month to month basis under the same provisions as your old lease. In the alternative, you can draft a 4 month lease.


You can amend the lease or continue as a month to month tenancy as stated above. If you have a definite time period you both want to extend to, I would put it writing with an amendment to he lease. If any terms of the lease change under the extension, it should be in writing. Do not leave any thing as an oral agreement.

William d. Lohrman
Law Office of William D. Lohrman
487 Grape Vine Trail
Oswego, IL 60543
Ph: 630.849.6196
Fax: 630.348.1323

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer