Skip to main content

Is there a way to get child support reduced without having to go back to court in Texas?

Houston, TX |

My income has decreased from the previous years because there isn't enough overtime for me to work. Is there a way to get the child support reduced without going back to court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3



You have to file a motion to modify and serve the obligee (person receiving support). You don't have to have a court battle, though. You can show the obligee your income and try to enter an agreed order.

Do not start paying less until you have an order allowing you to. Otherwise, the obligee or the Office of Attorney General can sue you for failure to pay child support.


I agree. You have to file a motion to modify child support - either through the AG, pro se, or a private attorney.

You may want to see how much child support will change. Travis county has a child support calculator which is helpful but not completely accurate. See:

I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties.


Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and office located in Harris County. His phone number is 832-207-2007 or 713-510-4500 or his email address is listed below.

Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


I agree, you must file a petition to modify the child support. And let me tell you, the AG will not be falling all over themselves to help you get your support reduced. They are much more interested in collecting support. To get this done expediently, you should really hire a private attorney to get the petition filed, get the the other parent served and get this set for hearing. I know it doesn't seem fair that you should have to spend money on an attorney when the whole point of the case is that your income has decreased...unfortunately, that is how it is.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer