Skip to main content

Is there a way to expedite the immigration petition for my son as I have submitted a previous petition which was revoked?

Darien, IL |

In 1996, I filed the first petition for my son as an unmarried child 21/older to permanent resident. In 2002, I obtained my American citizenship and updated the information. In 2002 the petition was processed and NVC requested the marriage certificate of the Applicant and the birth certificates of his kids and confirmed that this won't impact the processing of his petition. I also sent the I-864 form filled out for the applicant and each member of his family to the NVC and I paid the requested processing fees. Thereafter we received a revocation of the approval as my son got married in 1998. I complained and applied again in 2003 based on the new status and it's taking like forever to get my son here.The two petitions are still active in the system with status Post Decision Activity

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, unfortunately not.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Since your child was married before you became a US citizen, the visa became void. The second visa has been approved and will be available in the next year or so. You must notify the National Visa Center of your contact information and it would be very worthwhile to get an attorney to make sure this gets processed correctly.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


No. There is now way to expedite the process.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.