Skip to main content

Is there a way to break a lease due to finnacial hardship in north carolina

Wilmington, NC |

I have reccently lost my job...i cant find a new job here and im looking to relocate simply so I can find a job, the only problem is my lease...they want me to pay a month and 1/2 of rent just to terminate my lease...i dont have that money...and i really dont want to have go through w/ eviction ...what can i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, there is no law in North Carolina that requires a landlord to let a tenant break a lease due to financial hardship. If there is nothing in the lease document that applies to your situation, then this a tenant's option is to try to work out an arrangement with the landlord. Any arrangement you make to leave early without paying the full rent or being evicted should be in writing and should be signed by both parties.

(The attorney responding is licensed only in the state of North Carolina. This response does NOT constitute legal advice and does NOT create an attorney/ client relationship! Rather, the response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue that the questioner has left out and which would make the reply unsuitable. Therefore, the questioner should not base any decision on the answer, but should confer with an attorney in person about the specifics of his or her case.)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer