Skip to main content

Is there a way that i could avoid having a " Failure to maintain lane/Improper Lane Change" ticket on my record?

Smyrna, GA |

When trying to make a right turn my tire blowing caused me to lose control of my vehicle, causing me to have an accident no other car was involved. no one was injured. so the office gave me a ticket for" Failure to maintain lane/Improper Lane Change" . Im trying to get into truck driving school and a moving violation makes it hard for me even get accepted. is there a way i can avoid it going on my record? i understand that by paying the ticket i am considered guilty as charged. but i dont mind paying for the ticket just want an option for it going on my driving record.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


A judge may cut you a break on that and there might be a traffic school option, depending on the county. Call a local traffic ticket lawyer. It's a little tougher in Georgia, but I've seen judges help that situation out.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at


This is where lawyers can be worth every penny you pay them. On these facts, and it will vary by court, prosecutor and judge, some attorneys could win acquittal and many can come up with options where you'd plead to a non-reportable violation (like "rules of the road"), or get a deferred disposition that leads to dismissal. Sit down with a lawyer and determine a strategy. No one can promise you a win, but a good traffic lawyer may make a difference for you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight it so you have a chance


If you have a good driving record we can almost definitely get you something that is a non-reportable charge. That way no points show up on your DDS profile.

For more information, contact us at or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.


This seems like an unusual charge when the cause of your lane change is a blown tire.

I suggest you request a court hearing on the ticket and hire a ticket defense attorney to represent your interests. It will be money well spent.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.