Skip to main content

Is there a way my tax return can be accumulated with my yearly so I can do sponsorship?

White Lake, MI |

I am $5 thousand short of being able to sponsor on my own for my husband. My yearly tax return though is over 8 thousand. Is there a way that the additional money I get back yearly can be considered as part of my yearly income. Would I have to change what I'm claiming on my taxes so that it shows up more in my weekly checks instead of at the end of the year?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


There might be. Consult with an attorney

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You should consult an accountant about your tax status. This may work, but it is probably best to have a joint sponsor.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


For purposes of the I-864, one important number is your adjusted gross income on your most recent tax return. Another important number is your current income. What you seem to be describing is not a way of changing your annual income, but rather a way of adjusting how much money you take home each pay period vs. when you file your tax return. I don't think that the plan you describe will help, but it's not quite clear. I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney about the issue.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Talk with your accountant or payroll person to adjust your payroll deductions and consider a joint sponsor.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


Net earning are not the focus. Adjusted gross earnings are the focus. If you are an employee, your gross earnings would count, so it does not matter if you change your deductions or not. You should be working with a licensed immigration attorney to get things right.

Call: 888.483.0311. Information provided is general in nature and is not legal advice to be relied upon for any particular matter.


No. That $8,000 is not additional income - it has already been subject to taxation. Making changes to your W4 so that less money is withheld will not affect anything expect your tax refund/bill at the end of the year.

*This is not intended as legal advice. Individuals should consult an attorney to review individual circumstances of their case.


1 Find a sponsor
2 Find an immigration attorney to assist you.
3. Changing what you are claiming will not help you.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


Your income is calculated as your gross income and there is no way to increase it by adjusting your tax return or the number of dependents you claim. However, consider that any profit received from selling a car, house, etc. is also income, as well as any money received from gambling, investments, etc., as well as any money you received in large gifts or payments for "income" you've received that has not yet been taxed (this is often called getting paid "under the table").

If you claim any of the above as added income you will have to pay the taxes on that income, but it may put you over the threshold of being able to sponsor your husband. I hope this helps.