Is there a way i can get a sooner court date?

Brentwood, NY |

Im 18 years old and i got kicked out of my moms house late October. Recently she bribed my cousin to get me to come back to her house "to talk" but she trapped me in the house and beat me up, called the cops on me and got me arrested for harassment in the 2nd. I went to court the next day and she asked the judge to give me a curfew at her house every night at 8pm and it was granted. My court date is on March 18th and im scared for my safety there. I was wondering is there any way i can get a sooner court date?

I can't understand why you would have a curfew from a court when you are the age of majority. I am going to change your tag to criminal law. I don't think that you can get an earlier court date.

is there literally anyway it can possibly happen, i'm terrified for my life over there every night

Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

Why can't you just move out?

she kicked me out in late october, i've been out of the house since but she convinced my cousin to talk to me about going back there to talk to her but she beat me up and got me arrested, then the next day she asked the judge to give me a curfew at her house every night at 8 and if i violate it i can get arrested

Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

The whole thing sounds odd. File an order to show cause asking for an earlier court date.

OK how would I go about doing that?

Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

You should hire a lawyer or schedule a consult with a lawyer. The peition gets filed in the court where the OP was issued.

Speak to the attorney assigned to your case. It sounds possible but you have to ask your advocate

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

but nobody will listen to me because my mom has told everybody a bunch of lies

Getting a sooner court date is almost impossible. If legal aid was assigned to your case contact the attorney there and ask if they can contact the court to over up the date. I do not understand how a court can impose a curfew on an 18 year old.

The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589

the legal aid assigned to me only told me to listen to my mom

With the proper inquiry and advocate you can certainly advance the court date. It seems as if the court overstepped its jurisdiction in issuing a curfew. However, that may be a condition of your release, so it's important to find out if the condition can be amended or stricken.

she lies to everybody including cops to get me kicked out and she attempts to get people to beat me up and i'm scared for my life every night i go over there, would that help?