Skip to main content

Is there a way for my fiance to become a resident? If he marries me, a US citizen.

Newark, NJ |

He entered the country illegal... He has no criminal record. I heard there might be a law for forgiveness. Is it true? What are the consequences?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If he entered without inspection, then he will likely need to return to his home country to apply for an immigrant visa, and also will need to request a special waiver to return. It is not a simple process, and you should hire an attorney.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.


More information is needed to evaluate the case.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


I agree with both my colleagues.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


THere may be a way for him to obtain legal status, but it is complicated, and will require him to leave the U.S. for at least a few months. Much more information about you and him is necessary to determine what options are available and whether it is a good idea to pursue them. Set up a consultation with an immigration lawyer.