Skip to main content

Is there a way for me to request the USCIS or the US embassey to grnat a non-immigrant, temporary visa for my relative?

Glendale, CA |

I am a U.S. citizen, and have been living in the US for the last 13 years. Both our parents have green cards. My brother is the Godfather to my son, and now I have a daughter, and would like for him to be here for her christening, as the Godfather.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


He can file for a tourist visa. You can send him an invitation.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


To get a tourist visa, he will need to prove to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he will not remain in the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


To be issued a tourist visa your relative has to prove to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he does not intend to permanently remain in the U.S. To that effect, he must convince the consul of having "substantial ties" to his native Armenia (well paying job, real estate ownership, lot's of money in the bank, leaving spouse and child behind, just to attend an event in the U.S.; and etc.)
Letters of invitation, in and of themselves are worthless and often times ignored by the consular staff.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer