Skip to main content

Is there a way for me to change my married name back to my maiden name without going to court?

Lakewood, NJ |

I changed my last name on my driver's license when I got married without going to court; just by showing my marriage license. I would like to change it back as it's too much of a hassle dealing with 2 different names. Can I do this also without going to court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I think that you will need to obtain a court order changing your name back in order for MVC and other government entities to change your name in their records.

If you think this post was helpful, please check the "good answer" button below! NOTE: This answer is made is for advisory and/or educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, or posting a question and obtaining an answer, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is being established between you and the answering attorney, and there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney. You should consult with a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. The information provided in this answer is designed to be general in nature and is based on the facts stated in your question, and might change based on further information.


If you only changed it on your driver's license, then yes you should be able to get a new license issued with your maiden name. For other government documents, you'll probably need a court order.

This attorney is licensed in the State of Texas only and this information does not constitute legal advice. If you are seeking legal advice, please consult with an attorney at your earliest convenience.


You would need to do obtain a Court Order to legally have your married name changed back to your maiden name. You could have done this during your divorce, assuming that you were divorced. There is a time limit after a divorce to which the Family Part can still enter a name change Order. I believe it is about 6 months, but I do not recall. If you are out of time, you must file a name change in the Civil Law Division which is much more costly.