Skip to main content

Is there a way ask for a judge to reconsider or look again at best interests of child in a custody case?

Marietta, GA |

Is there someone who can represent best interests of a child in a recently decided case?My sister has been stay at home mom for kids ages 6 and 9. Father asked for full custody. After 2 1/2 years case went to court. Judge split case into 2- custody heard last month & financials heard this month. Judge awarded joint custody- with Dad ( a FT physician and deep pockets) having physical custody 70% and mom 30%- a complete reversal of how it had been during kids life and 2 1/2 yr. separation Judge said father was ready, willing & capable- that Mom made a "good play date for kids." Father hired nanny to care for kids vs. mom who has always been one to take care of school. MD visits, social etc. Kids are distraught- calling mom, crying . What can be done? How can kids voices be heard?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You've described it as "recently decided", and everything you talked about above indicates things SHOULD HAVE been done at the trial level, so an appeal is unlikely to *alter* the outcome. Instead, the things you are arguing about were matters that depended on the "best" presentation of that evidence. At the trial level, of course, a Guardian Ad Litem is a really appropriate figure to have present, and the party can move for one when it is as contentious and nasty as you make it sound, such that the children will likely be nothing but tools for the parties (though GALs are generally thought of by parties as "pricy", I have always found them to be worth it to pay for, because they often even out the balance of cost).

If the divorce and CC decisions happened within the past month, these things could still be taken care of and it might not be too late - a motion to set aside, or a motion for new trial, might address your concerns. Get an attorney for her ASAP (and not just "any" attorney - please remember that you get what you pay for, but there are a great many shysters out there) who handles both family law and appeals. Do this NOW. My website may have info to help you with the GAL issue, so you understand a little more about it. No matter what, beg and borrow for the money to get this done, and hopefully it isn't too little, too late, if you are truly concerned about it.

The information contained in this electronic communication and any documents or other files attached to and accompanying this transmission may contain information that is legally protected, including legally-privileged attorney-client confidential communications. The information contained in this electronic communication and any attachments thereto are intended only for the express attention of the recipient named above. The authorized recipient so identified is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless expressly permitted to do so by law or regulation. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited, and may give rise to legal sanctions. If you have received this information in error, please immediately notify Merlinus Monroe at 678-450-9743 and take action for the return or destruction of this communication. The website of Merlinus Goodman Monroe, LLC, and the receipt or use of information contained therein or accessed thereby is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, nor does the act of sending an email to Merlinus Monroe or soliciting his opinion without a binding Attorney- Client Agreement in place create an attorney-client relationship. Users of this site should not act or refrain from acting based upon information obtained from the website without also seeking professional counsel and legal representation regarding the specific facts and circumstances at issue in their individual case. This user does not accept, nor may this e-mail address be used for, electronic transmission of service of pleadings or process. All pleadings and process must be served physically, by either personal service or by mail delivered to Post Office Box 2686, Gainesville, Georgia 30503.


Appeals on a child custody case is diffucult. Most Judges and/or attorneys write bullet proof orders. Having said that your sister needs to have a local family law attorny review her case. This may be a situation where your sister may not be telling you the whole story. I find it diffucult to believe that your sister being a stay at home mom "looses" custody of the children. You said that the Husband hired a nanny, if this was done early in the children's life, when mom is to be a stay at home mom, this may have GREATLY impacted the decision of the Guardian and Judges decision. Bottom line, your sister needs to have an attorney review her file.


First of all, what is your trial attorney telling you about what just happened. An appellate attorney can only do so much with this. Most custody cases are won or lost in the trial court. If your trial attorney thinks that the Judge made legal errors, then you should contact an appellate attorney to discuss whether an appeal can help you. However, it must be filed within 30 days of the Final Order on custody. Since your post did not mention marriage or divorce, I assume that this is a custody case, not part of a divorce. If that is so, then you have a direct appeal (not discretionary) to the Georgia Court of Appeals. If it is a divorce, you have even less time, because the appellate attorney must prepare and file an application for discretionary appeal prior to the 30 day deadline.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.


Appeals rarely succeed in domestic cases, but you have a strict time limit. Both an appeal and a motion for new trial MUST be filed within 30 days of the date of the order. You will need to show a legal error, not a disagreement over facts. Discuss this with your lawyer and don't miss the deadline, after which it is too late.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer