Skip to main content

Is there a way around the restriction on the number of small claims lawsuits you can file? I'm a landlord.

Oakland, CA |

As the landlord of several properties, I occasionally have to take legal recourse on a plethora of individuals for monetary damages. Small claims says that I am limited to two claims per year. There has to be a way around this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No there doesn't. Such a law is enforceable and constitutional.



Sorry, I guess I should have said "There has to be a way around this?" with a question mark. Is there?


In each calendar year, you are limited to two small claims lawsuits where the demand exceeds $2500 per CA Code of Civil Procedure Section 116.231. So the only tip is to file the small claims lawsuit before the amount claimed reaches $2500.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.


I agree with Attorney Chen. He is an experienced and knowledgeable Landlord Tenant Attorney. Maybe you should let a property management firm take care of these issues. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., aka El Abogado de Divocios de California: 510-206-4492. It is of a general context and is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. I am licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on divorce, family matters, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Bancarrotas, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Bancarrotas de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer