Skip to main content

Is there a time limit on which an attorney must bill a client?

Portland, OR |

My last court date requesting a reduction of alimony was denied. I was ordered to pay attorney fees, and after 5 months I have not been billed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unless the court specified a time within which you must receive the attorney fee bill or pay the bill, it then should be a reasonable time. What is a reasonable time in this instance would be the subject of discussion? Perhaps 6 months, particularly if the matter is now resolved? I would just let sleeping dogs lie in this instance, the more time passes, the better for you in terms of not having to come up with the money and also an argument that they did not bill you in a timely manner. Unless you are in a hurry to pay don't do anything and see if they bill you down the road?

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.


I'm not clear on exactly how these attorney fees came up, but usually if the opposing party is awarded attorney fees, they have 14 days after the date of judgment to submit them to the court and to allow you a time to object under ORCP 68(C). If it's your own attorney that you're talking about, then your fee agreement may tell you or you can dispute the amount owed through the Oregon State Bar Fee Arbitration Program.

Licensed in Oregon. Advice provided is general legal information relevant to the facts provided. It is not intended as legal advice applicable to your specific situation. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until we have met and entered into a written representation agreement. Contact me at 541-250-0542 to discuss your matter further.


It sounds like you were ordered to pay attorney fees to the opposing party. They should have filed an attorney fee petition and the court would have set the amount you would have had to pay. Then, a supplemental judgment would have been entered. If you have not paid the amount set by the court, you probably would have gotten a demand to pay the fees and/or some collection letters. Additionally, you would have potentially had wages or accounts garnished. I would contact your attorney and find out what is going on. If they have not filed an attorney fee statement within the time specified by law, then their right to attorney fees is extinguished.