Skip to main content

Is there a time limit from drawing up divorce papers and filing them?

Coraopolis, PA |

I heard once the papers are drawn up I have 30 days to file them? Don't quite understand the timing?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Once the papers are filed, you have 30 days to serve them on your spouse. I think that is what you are referring to.

There are several deadlines in a divorce case, and you should consult an attorney to make sure the proceeding is handled properly.

Please remember to mark this answer as “Helpful” or “Best Answer” if appropriate. Thank you.


Marshall Chriswell

Law Offices of Marshall D. Chriswell
714 Philadelphia St., Suite 200
Indiana, PA 15701
(888) 438-5977
(724) 465-5826


Marshall D. Chriswell is a civil practitioner with offices in Indiana and Clearfield Counties. Mr. Chriswell's practice emphasizes Wills & Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate, Family Law, and general civil disputes.


Mr. Chriswell provides free initial consultations, and will gladly meet clients in their homes upon request, including on the evenings or weekends.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, feel free to contact our offices.


No you can hang on to them as long as you like without filing them. You really should consult and retain one of the many great lawyers available in your area on

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


If you are asking whether a Complaint has to be filed within a certain time frame once it is prepared, the answer is no. If you are asking whether you have to serve the Complaint one it has been filed with the court within a specific time frame, I agree with Attorney Chriswell that it must be served on the other party within 30 days.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.


The paperwork must filed with the court within 30 days of you signing the verification. You are not required to sign the verification at any point. You can have the paperwork drawn up and just wait to sign them until you are ready to file them.

I agree with the other attorneys, the papers should be served on the other party within 30 days of being filed.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. This Q&A forum does not create an attorney/client relationship. If you have a legal concern that is important to you, I urge you to consult with an attorney. For those who are concerned about their ability to afford legal assistance, the ACBA's Lawyer Referral Service may help: